Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Movie Trailers

I saw some good trailers and some not-so-good trailers when I saw The Devil Wears Prada. Well, I guess that's not true. All the trailers were good. It's just that the some of the movies look good, and some of the movies look much, much less than good.
Let's start with a good one - Running With Scissors. Now, by now you all know that I'm a big Augusten Burroughs fan, and I'm definitely looking forward to this movie. The cast looks incredible: Brian Cox, Alec Baldwin, Gwynnie Paltrow, Evan Rachel Wood, Jill Clayburgh, and Annette Benning are going to be pretty much perfect. However, I'm not so sure about the kid playing Augusten... isn't he a little old?
I also saw a trailer for World Trade Center, the Oliver Stone version of the events of 9/11. I say the Oliver Stone version not because I think he'll turn it into something crazy, but rather because there are multiple tellings of this story coming out soon. Anyway, as far as movie trailers go, this one was pretty much perfect. I don't think I'll actually see this movie, but the trailer made me want to see it. Also, the soaring orchestral soundtrack gave me some goosebumps and I got a little teary. Just from the trailer. If there's a version of the 9/11 movie to be seen, it's this one. I don't think Oliver Stone would screw it up.
I also saw a trailer for Hollywoodland, about the unsolved murder mystery surrounding the death of George Reeves, TV's Superman. This looks awesome. Can't wait. Would have liked a picture to show you, but there are no production stills or posters yet.
Now for the bad ones - My Super Ex-Girlfriend, anyone? Whose idea was this? It will not be good. Mark my words. There is no way that the rromantic comedy and the super hero action flick will combine well. Not with Uma Thurman and Luke Wilson. I will not be seeing this movie.
And finally, winning the award for worst movie trailer ever is The Guardian. This movie looks truly awful. Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher together in a movie has to be one of the worst idea ever. Whose idea was this? Seriously. Neither of them are tremendous actors. Then there's the setting - a Coast Guard rescue movie? With towering waves of water threatening to overwhelm a helicopter mid-rescue, with two little men dangling, clinging for dear life? Not really acceptable. And the script! "If he's so good, why is he teaching us, not out rescuing?" "How do you decide who lives?" "I swim as fast as I can, as long as I can, and I leave the rest behind." WHAT!? If I have extra money when this comes out, maybe I'll see it for a laugh, but otherwise this goes straight to the top of the do-not-see list.

movie trailers - A

4 comments:

equippedtofascinate said...

Everyone is going to hate me for saying this, but I don't like Gweneth Paltrow. I want to see Running w/ Scissiors, but I don't know if I can stand to sit through a movie she's in.

christa said...

you're not supposed to run with scissors....ever....

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your writing about a month ago and have found it very enjoyable.

After your last blog, I felt I should Email you telling you about my website:

http://www.hiddenflicks.com/

it tracks what trailers are in theaters AND what movies (both new and old) have codas tacked on after the credits. Take a look, I'd appreciate any input and contributions and assistance in getting it up and running.
Again, keep up the good work. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks.

Ben

Dustin Harder said...

I saw all of these trailers because I saw "devil wears prada" as well. I cant wait for running with scissors. I agree with Augesten being to old...however, in the bok he goes from like 8-16 doesnt he? So maybe they were trying to find a sort of happy medium age wise. I do however, feel as though a ton of good/crazy little things wont make it into the movie from the book and for that I am sad. But Annette Benning as the mother was and amzing choice I think! I cant wait!

Um....a little part of me wants to see "My super ex girlfriend" just cuz it looks fun to see Uma get all mad and bust through ceilings and fly across new york city and stuff. i so shouldnt wanna see it....i know.

And scott....I dont care much for gwenyth either buddy.