Tuesday, September 27, 2005

How I Paid For College

I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but this one totally jumped out at me and I had to get it. Notice that its subtitle is "A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship and Musical Theater..." how could I not get this book? Unfortunately, it wasn't very good. Here's the basic plot: a well-off suburbanite, Edward, wants to go to Juilliard for acting, but his father won't pay his tuition, so his group of friends (the "Play People") devise some schemes to find money. They embezzle money from Edward's evil German step-mother, launder the money through a fake scholarship, all the while putting on an amazing production of Godspell. Of course, there are numerous love triangles, Edward struggles with his sexuality, he botches his Juilliard audition... but it all works out in the end. Basically, this is the literary version of the movie "Camp," which, if you recall from an earlier entry, I didn't like all that much. It's funny to me, being a theatre groupie, but the general population will think this book is a waste of time.

I'm writing about this book during Friends Week because it sort of made me think of Dustin (not that he's a waste of time, of course!). It kind of mirrors his life, and all the good parts of the book are things he will relate to.

Up for something frivolous? Get this book. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

How I Paid For College - C-

No comments: