Thursday, September 08, 2005

Friday Night Lights

This book is great. Really, really great. It's not just a book about football. It tells the story of a town trying to stay alive, of hopes and dreams, of misplaced priorities, and through it all, the riveting stories of young men coming face-to-face with manhood and destiny. Does that intrigue you? I couldn't put it down. The last fifty pages are incredibly captivating - I can't remember the last time a non-fiction work kept my interest so well. The writing is so brilliant and juicy that the characters almost seem fake... but the kind of scary thing is, they're not. These are true stories of football players and fans so wrapped up in the game, and everything the game means, that their lives are skewed into thinking they have normal behavior. I'd kind of like to see a psychological profile on some of these folks, know what I mean?
I haven't seen the movie, so I can't pass judgment on it, but I say that the book is always better, so go out and get a copy as soon as you can. This book rocks.

Friday Night Lights - A

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the book, but I have seen the movie, and it is, simply, one of the best sports movies of all time. It's beautifully, jarringly shot, and the acting is great across the board (Derek Luke and Billy Bob Thornton in particular.) See it.

Dustin Harder said...

Amanda! Your entire family needs to chip in and get me a dictionary for my birthday or christmas. I mean seriously....geez.