Monday, April 17, 2006

Check Your Facts!

School is almost over for the semester, but it is by no means slowing down. I have a final debate, two papers, an infomercial (of which I am the director), three finals, and a small group communication project. For the group project, I have the task of editing and compiling all the research done by the other group members - I have more confidence in my skills than I do in theirs, so I volunteered for this job. Now that I'm in the thick of it, things are getting a little wacky. Some of the kids in my group don't know how to do citations for research papers, so I said I'd take that on, too, as long as they provided me with the books, articles, and websites where they got their information. So tonight, as I was working on the reference page, I noticed that "Jenny" (not her real name, not even close) used the website zetatalk.com to find a definition on social isolation. It seemed a little casual for research - nothing like the American Health Care Association or the CDC - so I thought I'd check it out.
Turns out that zetatalk.com is a website devoted to interpreting the upcoming alien invasion. You know, the alien invasion? The one that's coming soon, apparently? The Zeta's emissary, Nancy, has been visited by aliens several times, beginning when she was a young girl, wearing blue coveralls while walking in a swamp. The Zetas discuss (through Nancy) things such as pole switching, alien-human hybrids (they're among us right now, you know), how to take care of pre-existing health concerns after the aliens take over the planet, that receiving a call from an alien is usually arranged pre-birth, and, of course, crop circles.

Okaaaaay?

So let this be a lesson to any of you doing research on the Internet - be very careful. Google searches are fine for some things, and really, really bad for others.

"Jenny's" awesome research mistake - B+

3 comments:

amanda said...

That was the worst thing, dear Patrick - the definition was really, really good, but I just couldn't bring myself to use it.

equippedtofascinate said...

I don't see what the problem is.

equippedtofascinate said...

Ha, ha, ha. Mamakraft, you're funny.