Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A Scanner Darkly

All hail interpolated rotoscope animation! This movie is crazy. So, it was filmed for real, with real actors and sets and stuff, but then it was animated. It's really bizarre. I don't normally notice the way light and shadow play on people's faces, but in this style of animation, you can't help but notice. It kind of makes me want to throw up, but it's pretty sweet, nonetheless. The weird thing was, Winona Ryder never really looked like Winona Ryder. All the other actors looked just like they do in real life, but Nonesie looked a little off.
The movie itself was weird, and hard to follow for someone not well-versed in Philip K. Dick novels. I got it, I think, but Nate did have to explain it to me to be sure, and there were many times where I said, What was that? The plot and the animation obscured the acting, although Robert Downey Jr. was quite good.

I wouldn't recommend A Scanner Darkly to anyone but hard-core sci-fi or animation fans. If you're one of those, you should definitely see it; if you're not... eh?

A Scanner Darkly - C+

2 comments:

TSL said...

Have a few drinks and watch Waking Life... it was - I think - their first venture with rotoscoping and they essentially just play with all the different effects they can make up through different conversations (you can borrow this from me as soon as you finish with Dana and her crew).

Frannie Farmer said...

I had no desire to see this - now I know I am not gonna add it to the Netfliz list.