Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Oscar Nomination Predictions

UPDATE: 74% accuracy without my runners-up, 80% with. Like I always do. Worst category? Best Original Screenplay - only one right guess. Best category? Best Adapted Screenplay - 100% accuracy!

I've been making Oscar predictions for the last eight years, but have only made nomination predictions for the last three. Here are my predictions from 2006, 2007, and 2008. I've never done better than about 80% accuracy in my nomination predictions - we'll see how I do this year.

Best Picture
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon
Milk
Slumdog Millionaire
runner-up: The Wrestler
I wish: Rachel Getting Married

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio, Revolutionary Road
Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn, Milk
Brad Pitt, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler

runner-up: Clint Eastwood, Gran Torino
I wish: Colin Farrell, In Bruges

Best Actress
Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married
Sally Hawkins, Happy-Go-Lucky
Melissa Leo, Frozen River
Meryl Streep, Doubt
Kate Winslet, Revolutionary Road (note: Kate's nomination was for The Reader, so I got a half-point)
runner-up: Angelina Jolie, Changeling
I wish: Sarah Jessica Parker, Sex and the City... not really

Best Supporting Actor
Josh Brolin, Milk
Robert Downey, Jr., Tropic Thunder
Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt
Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Dev Patel, Slumdog Millionaire
runner-up: James Franco, Milk
I wish: Emile Hirsch, Milk

Best Supporting Actress
Penelope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis, Doubt
Taraji P. Henson, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei, The Wrestler

Kate Winslet, The Reader
runners-up and I wish: Amy Adams, Doubt and Rosemarie DeWitt, Rachel Getting Married - I love them both

Best Director
Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
David Fincher, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard, Frost/Nixon
Christopher Nolan, The Dark Knight
Gus Van Sant, Milk
runner-up: Clint Eastwood, Gran Torino
I wish: Jonathan Demme, Rachel Getting Married

Best Original Screenplay
Dustin Lance Black, Milk
Joel and Ethan Coen, Burn After Reading
Tom McCarthy, The Visitor
Nick Schenk, Gran Torino
Robert D. Siegel, The Wrestler
runner-up: Andrew Stanton, Wall-E
I wish: Jenny Lumet, Rachel Getting Married

Best Adapted Screenplay
Simon Beaufoy, Slumdog Millionaire
Eric Roth, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Peter Morgan, Frost/Nixon
David Hare, The Reader
John Patrick Shanley, Doubt

runner-up: Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan, The Dark Knight
I wish: who knows? these look good to me

For a complete list of Oscar nominees, click here.

No comments: