Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cannonball Read, Book 8

I finished Melissa Bank's The Wonder Spot a couple days ago.  This is another collection of "short prose," same character throughout the collection of short stories... so it's not a short story collection, but it's not a novel (so it IS like Moral Disorder).  Are there lots of books like these?

'Cause I like 'em.

I've read Bank's The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing at least four times, so I knew what I was getting into.  I liked the stories quite a bit, but they all left me feeling unsettled - they all sort of veer away from a nice, neat ending.  That's OK, but sometimes I like nice & neat.  I wanted Sophie to get the guy and live happier ever after, and I'm not sure that she does... but maybe the whole point of the book is to leave you wondering.  Like the spot.

The Wonder Spot - B

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Yeah, that was about my assessment of Wonder Spot too...I just didn't feel like all the ends got tied up.