Wednesday, August 02, 2006

How To Be Good

I finished reading How To Be Good by Nick Hornby today. I had started reading at my friend Shannon's house (when I was on my mini-vacay to Kalamazoo), but I picked it up again at the used book store in town. I remembered it being darkly funny and, truth be told, I'm a little tired of my summer teen lit reading list. Well, this book was a big departure from fluffy teen lit, for sure. It's darkly funny, all right, but more "dark" than "funny." And it really didn't end well. I was shocked, actually. I turned the page, expecting to see another chapter, and when I realized that it was in fact the end of the book, I honestly thought "That's it? That can't be it." But it was. That's never happened to me before.

This book revolves around the relationship of a husband and wife on the verge of a divorce. The wife is a doctor, and therefore is a "good" person, but her husband undergoes a sort of spiritual revelation, and he wants to be a "good" person, too, but his efforts are drastic and they drive a big wedge into the family. It's pretty funny in some passages, but really not funny at all in other parts. I think that whoever read this book for USA Today and said "Hilarious" might be a little off in the head.

This is the first time I've read Nick Hornby... is he always like this?

How To Be Good - C

4 comments:

Carrie B. said...

Negative. I read this book a few years ago, and I felt the same way. I usually like Nick Hornsby, and How To Be Good was a let down.

mama kay said...

darn .. it totally *looks* like a book I would want to read.

The Stranger said...

Hornby's best novel by far is About a Boy. That's the best showcase of his talents. HTBG is his attempt at moving away from the comic novel towards the more traditional literary form with an ending that alludes to the difficulties that await her. So I don't think it's at all representative of Hornby in About a Boy or High Fidelity, or even Fever Pitch.

Chargenda said...

This is very funny. Look for my Nick Hornby review in the next day or two. This book sort of sealed the deal that I needed to break up with my boyfriend a few years back.