Monday, August 28, 2006

The Emmys

Thank you, Blogger, for finally allowing me to post some pictures.
So, the Emmys. They're kind of the Oscars' bratty little brother. It's still glamorous, of course, but I can't help but think that an Emmy is not quite as good as an Oscar. It's irrational, I know, considering that there are some fine actors who will probably never win an Oscar but will win a gazillion Emmys (Megan Mulally comes to mind, and perhaps Kelsey Grammer?). Still, it seems like what everyone really wants is an Oscar, then a Grammy, because deep down everyone wants to be a singer, and then comes Emmy. Followed by Tony. It seems like just about everyone is in a play these days.
I digress. I'm OK with the outcome of the awards - although Project Runway was robbed. Seriously. The Amazing Race, four years in a row? It's fine, but it's time has come and gone. I'm disappointed that the two shows I watch faithfully (PR and Grey's Anatomy) weren't rewarded with Emmys, but what are you gonna do? Sometimes I wonder about the voters. I think two of the five best comedy actress shows were cancelled, and at least one of the best actress drama shows. That's not to say that the acting wasn't good, but if the show didn't get picked up for a second season, maybe that means something. And as someone who doesn't watch Lost, how could it win for Best Drama last year and not even get nominated this year? That's kind of whack. But with all that said, I'm still pretty happy with the outcome. Hooray for Tony Shalhoub and Julia Louis-Dreyfus.
OK, on to the fashion. There were some real winners last night, for sure. If it wouldn't make my blog insanely long, I'd show pictures of all my favorite dresses, but instead, you'll just get treated to my top three. Second runner-up: Ellen Pompeo. Look at her from the face DOWN. That dress is gorgeous. And she sure knows how to take a picture. I watched her on the red carpet, and she was all twitchy and annoying, but it's a beautiful dress and she looks amazing in it. Maybe with less severe hair she would have been first runner-up... but that honor goes to Portia de Rossi. I never would have paired gunmetal gray/green with bright red lipstick, purse, and shoes, but she did, and it looks amazing. I love everything about it. The night's winner was, of course, Heidi Klum. Holy shit. Seal's right - Heidi is most beautiful when she's preggers. She is for sure GLOWING. And the dress is absolutely fabulous. Great color, love the one strap, and the flowiness clearly isn't trying to hide the baby bump, but rather embrace it without accentuating it. And can you believe those gams? I wish I could look that good when I'm pregnant, but I think you have to start with supermodel good looks to be that fortunate. Her arm candy ain't too shabby, either. Way to accessorize, Heidi.

The Emmys - B+

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously? I'd love to look as good as Heidi Klum on any given day, much less pregnant. But I'd need to grow about 8 more inches and actually care what I look like if I leave for work at 6:15 a.m.

You'll always be a hottie to me though Manders - Mark says we're going to hang your head shot above our bar someday when we have one...

Anonymous said...

I loved the opening where Conan was on the Lost beach and he told "hurley" that he was going to the emmys. he asked him if he wanted to go too, and he said, "no, we weren't invited". LOL

equippedtofascinate said...

I didn't watch. I for one, prefer my awards in this order: Grammy, Oscar, Tony, Emmy.