Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cannonball Read - Book 37

I love The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I think it's beautiful. But I've tried to read Sebold's memoir Lucky a couple times, and it never really grabbed me - but since I'm on this 100-books-in-a-year quest, I figured now was a good time to give it another shot. And yet again, it didn't move me. If you don't know the story, Sebold was raped at the end of her freshman year of college, and naturally, it changed her life. It affected her relationships with her family, her friends, and with men, and how she felt about herself. And one might think that this would be a book I would like. I like memoirs very much, and I like woman-centric stories. But this one was very disjointed, bouncing from the rape scene to a scene from Sebold's childhood, then to a scene at the courthouse. And even though this is a memoir, something happens that is sort of unbelievable. I believe that it happened, for sure, but it took me out of the experience of the book and made me say "Come on. Really? No way." Not the reaction you want to have when reading a memoir. Unless it's by James Frey.

Lucky - C

No comments: