Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Constant Gardener

Hmmm, The Constant Gardener... this movie was wonderful, thought-provoking, complex, and visually stunning, and I would say one of the best movies I've seen in 2006, but I don't usually go for complicated, quiet "thrillers" that don't come together until the very end. It was painful, really, because the movie made me angsty. I was worried for the characters, and I wanted to know the outcome immediately. Also, when a movie confuses me long enough, I get a little turned off - like, Get on with it and tell me the truthful answers, so about an hour and forty-fvie minutes into it, The Constant Gardener started to really piss me off. I think The Constant Gardener will require a second viewing so that I completely understand it, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.
Rachel Weisz was magnificent, by the way - I get the "hype," and I totally think she's gonna win the Best Supporting Actress Oscar. Big step up from The Mummy 2, huh?

The Constant Gardener - B+

4 comments:

Ashley said...

This movie made me cry, cry, cry. I sat a little despondent after watching it in the movie theater back in September just thinking "Wow."

The personal stories are amazing and touching, but for me the real story was the realistic portrayal of what the world has done to Africa just made me shake with anger, frustration and and overall feeling of helplessness. But it made me think, and thats what good movies do, right?

Bethro said...

I haven't seen this, now I'm interested!

Dustin J. Harder said...

huh....everyone I talked to HATED this movie. Obcviously not my cup of tea so I dont think I will be viewing it. I mean, just imagine how many times I would have to watch it to understand it.

Chargenda said...

this movie is so. f'ing. good.