Friday, August 21, 2009

Project Runway Recap

It seems like FOREVER since Project Runway has been on TV. And maybe it has been a really long time. With the legal battle between Bravo and the Weinstein Co. waging for months, and the lead-up to the new season airing on Lifetime, I don't think there have been any re-runs on Bravo - and you could always count on at least one marathon a month. So it was with open arms and an open heart that I welcomed Project Runway back into my life last night.

The evening started with the All-Star Challenge - and kudos (would it be tacky to say bravo?) to whichever genius thought it up, because I'm sure it drew legions of loyal fans over to Lifetime. I'd watch little Daniel Vosovic every day of the week! But I think that Jeff Sebelia hit the nail on the head when he said that Mychael wasn't an all-star (I love you, Mychael, I'm not actually talking about you). I would think that "all-star" would mean top three. How did Sweet P sneak in there but there was no Laura Bennett? Maybe she was too busy having another baby... At any rate, it was a delightful two hours and I'm thrilled that Daniel won. He's always been one of my favorites. In fact, I think Season 2 was my most favorite. Daniel, Nick, Santino, Andrae (where's Andrae?), and Grace, my second-favorite PR model of all time. I'll send you a present if you can name my all-time favorite PR model.

After the all-star challenge, it was time to get down to it - season six begins! It's almost like they knew that there was going to be a long hiatus between season five and season 6, because they started with a red carpet challenge. Yee-haw! Season 6 isn't messing around (although I'm sure the conceptual stuff will come later). There were some beautiful gowns, and some total wack shit. I don't see this week's challenge winner winning the whole thing; at this point, it's hard to say who I think will come out on top, but my early favorites are Epperson, Carol Hannah and Ra'Mon.

I had concerns that PR on Lifetime would be too different from PR on Bravo. But really, it was the exact same show. Same set, same graphics (are those Heidi's legs walking across the screen before each commercial break?), same intense music before the contestant is auf'd. Only the commercials are different. I will miss seeing promos for Real Housewives or Top Chef, but I think I can manage.

As an aside, I think there's going to be a lot of TV in my life this fall. Project Runway, So You Think You Can Dance, Glee, Intervention, Grey's Anatomy... maybe I'll need to set a goal of watching 100 shows?

Project Runway - A-

1 comment:

Jenny Jackson said...

That's a TV goal I can get behind! Except I would have to watch them all via hulu...

Anyways, I am going to say that your favorite model of all-time was "Nose" because that's the only one I can remember. Thanks for the recap!