Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Half Nelson

I am bad at Netflix. I had Half Nelson sitting at home for almost a month before I watched it. Good thing there are no late fees (thanks, Netflix).

I didn't hate Half Nelson, but I didn't love it. It was very well-acted, and for a movie without a real plot, I found it interesting, but it made me uncomfortable. Maybe that's the point - it's about a crack-smoking teacher, after all - but I found the teacher-student relationship inappropriate to the point that I was distanced from watching the movie for the movie's sake. I could only think "A teacher would never do that, even if he's a crackhead." The unrealistic parts sort of overshadowed the realistic parts for me.

Half Nelson - B

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I have yet to see the movie, although I would like to. I often feel like a cracked-out teacher teaching in the New York City public schools. Maybe crack would help. Who knows...

Currently half of my class is skipping 5th period because they have a sub for science. They go to the gym. The gym teacher doesn't do anything to stop them. The administration doesn't do anything to stop them. They will (maybe) come to my sweaty and riled up.

Crack would definately help.

Meggie said...

I need your address so I can send you your birthday present! Either that or I'll wait when you come for graduation. You're going to come for graduation, RIGHT? Mmmm....think of the Chicago-Style deep dish pizza and Eli's cheesecake (or key lime pie, we're not sure yet, any opinion?). Plus, A PRESENT! From the foreign, far away land of COSTA RICA! :)
Miss your face.
<3 MC