Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cannonball Read - Book 25

Let me start by saying that if you want to read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and have the major plot points unrevealed, don't read the book jacket. The hubs made the mistake of reading the inside of the book jacket, where it pretty much spells out a significant event that otherwise he wouldn't have seen coming. He was very disappointed. So no book jacket - and no big description from me.
I will tell you this: this is one of the saddest books I've read in a long time. David Wroblewski has written a heartbreaking tale of a boy, his family, their dogs, and their tragedies. And I hope I'm not giving too much away to tell you that the segments written from the dogs' points-of-view are gut-wrenchingly beautiful. I don't know if I can ever look at my dog the same way again, knowing what might be going on in his little fuzzy head. I was sad when it ended, on so many levels - the book was over, and these poor people's lives were just shattered.

Wonderful.

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - A-

No comments: