Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cannonball Read - Book 61

I am falling further and further behind in my quest to read one hundred books this year, particularly since I had two three-hour flights this weekend when I could have cranked out two or three books. Instead, I read just one.

But it was so worth it.

Middlesex was fantastic. I mean, seriously awesome. This story of a hermaphroditic Greek-American and his family's struggles and intracacies was wholly engrossing from the first page. And the moment I was done with it, I wanted to start it over, to see what I had missed the first time around. It was funny and painful and shocking and just... just... look, I'm no Jeffrey Eugenides. I can't explain it any better than this: it was outstanding.

Middlesex - A+

3 comments:

Staxgirl said...

I'm so glad you loved this book. I read it in a book group several years ago and was awestruck. A few months ago I found it on sale at Borders and had to add it to my permanent collection, not easy since we are out of bookshelf space. I do plan to reread it.

Jenny Jackson said...

I loved that book, too!

Jennifer said...

I am so glad you liked this book. I felt the same when I read it.