Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cannonball Read - Book 12

This one wasn't so easy. Ian McEwan is lauded as one of the world's most brilliant contemporary writers, and this book was exceptional, but it was a bit of a tough read. Here's a quick synopsis: this guy Henry has a day off, and does all kinds of shit and all kinds of shit happens. Makes you want to read it, right? But it's so intricate, and while reading it, I really felt like I was along for the ride on Henry's Saturday. The details are rich and layered, and not overwhelming, but it's not the kind of book you can just read at night before going to bed. You need to dedicate some waking hours to reading. Shelve it until you can hunker down with it, that's my advice. I was definitely drawn in to Henry, the main character - he's so well-developed that at times I felt I was reading a true account of one man's day, instead of a fictional tale.
The weirdest part of this experience? Saturday is set on Saturday, February 15, 2003. I started the book on February 13th, and finished it on the 16th. Completely unintentional.

Saturday - B+

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Glad you liked it...ready for more?

amanda said...

Yes! Always, send more books!