Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Namesake

The Namesake was lovely. I don't really identify with issues of cultural identity (I'm pretty much white), but it was a compelling story that even the whitest audience member could get into. I really cared about the characters and their issues and dilemmas, and even though I looked at my watch twice, I was never bored. And the rumors are true: it is a beautiful film. Excellent cinematography. Oscar worthy? Probably not, but it's a film for the whole family.

My friend Erin has a theory that everyone has an ethnic twin - you know, a person of an ethnicity other than their own who would look just like that person if they weren't black/Korean/Indian/etc. I didn't agree with her until I saw this movie. Kal Penn is the ethnic twin of a guy I "dated" one summer. Remember China Boy (he wasn't Chinese, just going to China for a year)? Wow, do they look alike or what?

The Namesake - B+

4 comments:

Frannie Farmer said...

I watched the previews of this and really want to see it ... glad you thought it was worth it!

Anonymous said...

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that "Frank Jordan" is the equivalent of "Matthew Bingam" or "Stephanie Howard" (I never *could* remember the actual encryption)?

Anonymous said...

Did this person you "dated" happen to be the valedictorian of his high school???? :) If so... it's totally his ethnic twin.

amanda said...

Oooh, you guys are good! Yes, "Frank Jordan" was valedictorian. And you're close, anonymous - we switched the initials, too.