Saturday, January 20, 2007

SPs

A new phenomenon has recently come to my attention - SPs. That's what my friend Ashlee calls Stereotype Perpetuators. For example: a few months ago, I was helping plan an event for a Jewish group. When I told them what the expected costs would be, a young man asked me, "Is there anyway we can get that for less?" I cite this example because he followed it up by saying "I'm a Jew, I'm cheap!" so I don't feel bad saying this guy was a stereotype perpetuator, because he said so himself (actually, he was quite funny).
But there are so many more: black people who really are late to everything; gay men who know a lot about fashion or wave their hands around and act nelly; drunk Indians; dumb blondes; Southern racists; the list goes on.
I HATE SPs. They make me feel like a bad person because I instantly think negative things about the stereotype and the person attached to it. I don't want to be prejudiced - can't we all just get along?

SPs - D+ (points for the funny cheap Jewish guy)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow- another bad day at work? More SP's come see you today? Let me guess: Mr. Ooo-wee came to get his check. (Note that I'm using a rhyming name to protect his identity). Well gotta go; I need to cook some cornbread and make my own moonshine while using racials slurs.

amanda said...

Nope, no more SPs - it just took me a few days to get around to writing about the current one.

equippedtofascinate said...

Drunk Indians? I don't know that i've ever heard that stereotype before.

Frannie Farmer said...

Oh heavens girl .. I am surrounded by SP's ...